- When there is concern for physical abuse, the physical examination should be completed with the child undressed (in a gown), with specific attention to the skin, scalp and fontanel, mouth and oral cavity (including frena), ears, genitalia, and growth chart.
- Any injury in a preambulatory child, including bruises, mouth injuries, fractures, and intracranial or abdominal injury, should raise concern for abuse.
- The “TEN 4” rule: bruising of the Torso, Ears, or Neck in children <4 years old and any bruising in children <4 months old should raise concern.
- Radiographic skeletal survey should be performed using proper technique for children <2 years old with concern for abuse. Repeating the skeletal survey 2–3 weeks later can identify additional fractures that were not seen initially.
- Young (<2 years old) siblings and household contacts of abused children should be examined for abusive injuries and undergo skeletal survey.
- Infants evaluated for physical abuse may benefit from neuroimaging even if they don’t have neurological symptoms.
- Retinal examination is indicated for children with concern for abusive head trauma but may not be indicated for children without intracranial injury.
- Health care providers with a reasonable suspicion of physical abuse have a legal mandate to report their concern to child protective services.
- Clean and evaluate the injury and remove damaged tissue
- Close severe wounds with stitches or apply a bandage to minor bite injuries
- Take radiographs if a foreign body or deep tissue injury is suspected
- Recommend treatment for tetanus or rabies if indicated
- Refer you to a specialist if there’s extensive damage or a joint is involved
- Prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection
There were no efforts by emergency response teams to rescue former Nyeri governor Wahome Gakuru after he got involved in a grisly road accident along Nairobi-Kenol highway, an inquest heard Thursday.
Mr Gakuru, who was only 77 days old in office, stayed inside the car’s wreckage at the scene of the accident while bleeding profusely and writhing in pain for about 45 minutes with his aides and members of the public struggling to rescue him.