It takes a minimum of two people to perform this procedure. However, it is better with three, one dedicated to making the catch.
- Encourage oral fluid intake.
- 25 minutes following this feed, the baby/infants genitals are cleaned thoroughly with warm soapy water and dried with sterile gauze.
- A sterile container is prepared to collect the specimen.
- Baby is held under the armpits (just above the bed) with legs dangling (the parents can easily assist with this).
- The nurse then starts bladder stimulation which consists of gentle tapping in the suprapubic area at a rate of 100 taps per minute for 30 seconds.
- Next, the lumbar paravertebral zone (think the small of the lower back) is massaged in a light circular motion for 30 seconds.
- Step 5 and six are repeated until urine is released.
Stand clear & catch the mid-stream.