- Clean and evaluate the injury and remove damaged tissue
- Close severe wounds with stitches or apply a bandage to minor bite injuries
- Take radiographs if a foreign body or deep tissue injury is suspected
- Recommend treatment for tetanus or rabies if indicated
- Refer you to a specialist if there’s extensive damage or a joint is involved
- Prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection
First Aid & Health
Disclaimer: This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, emergency treatment or formal first-aid training. Don’t use this information to diagnose or develop a treatment plan for a health problem or disease without consulting a qualified health care provider. If you’re in a life-threatening or emergency medical situation, seek medical assistance immediately.